Let us help you design and build an ethical sapphire ring for the woman of your dreams. If you are reading this, it probably means that it's important to both of you that the symbol of love and commitment she carries for the rest of her life has been ethically made and sourced.
Choose your favourite sapphire
All of the rough sapphires from Borneo are alluvial and obtained through placer mining. She'll be happy to know where each stone has been mined and cut, and that the ring was lovingly crafted by hand by skilled artisans in Java.
Now the design...
This dream is yours to design. Over to you now.
- Classic bezel setting with gold all the way around the stone
- Open bezel setting, which goes around the girdle (edges) of the sapphire, but exposes the culet (the bottom) of the stone
- Prongs only; The prongs rise up from the base of the ring, without any additional support or security.
- Wire basket prongs; The prongs rise up from the base of the ring, with a thin wire around halfway at the pavillion (underside) of the stone for extra support.
- Basket prongs; The prongs rise up from a base or 'basket' into which the gemstone or diamond is set. This offers more security, but can look bulkier than prongs only, especially when the stone has a higher profile.
Number of prongs:
- 4 prongs compass, positioned North, East, South and West
- 4 prongs in the corners
- 5 prongs (recommended only for stones over 5 mm)
- 6 prongs (recommended only for stones over 5 mm)
Our white gold is rhodium plated, and the rhodium plating tends to wear off over time. It wears off faster around the areas that get most wear, in this case, the prongs. So white gold prongs need more care and maintenance than a white gold bezel, or than yellow or rose gold prongs.
If you choose an irregular shaped sapphire, we can send you sketches to see some prong placement options, and you can request to position the stone horizontal or vertical.
- Half round band, flat on the inside and rounded on the outside, for a comfortable fit. Around 1.6 mm wide.
- Round band, this band tends to spin more and is not recommend if your knuckles are wider than the part of your finger where the ring sits. Around 1.2 mm wide.
Additional small stones in the band
- Plain band, no additional diamonds
- Small sparkling white Canadian diamonds (G-H color, SI clarity) - you choose how many
- Small salt and pepper diamonds (you choose how many)
Additional stones on the side with bezel or 3-prong setting
- Salt and pepper diamonds around 2.5 mm
- Purplish blue Yogo sapphires, from Montana, around 2 mm
- Soft peachy pink spinels in high quality pentagon cut. With their unusual cuts this makes for a unique three stone ring!
The price will be automatically adjusted depending on the stones and design you choose.
Engraving is on us!
We offer complimentary hand engraving up to 24 characters on the inside of your gold sapphire ring to personalize it even more. This is only possible for half round bands, as the round bands are too dainty, and can be selected in the dropdown menu.
Our signature ethical gold
We use 18 karat eco-gold, which is mined and processed with traditional, mercury-free low-impact practices by indigenous Dayak women in Central Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo, who receive fair pay. Our white gold is rhodium plated.
We're making this for you, from scratch
Your Borneo sapphire ring will bemade to order with the sapphire of your choice inaround 8 to 10 weeks. You'll receive a photo before we ship it out. The price is for one finished ring in 18 karat eco gold.
Since your ring will be made especially for you, we don’t accept returns on custom orders. Want some guidance on the design, or a mock-up before taking the plunge? If you have any questions, smart or stupid, hit up info@GardensoftheSun.com.
Need some more help?
Our customer happiness team is pretty awesome! Email them or use the chat box.
- BBS01 - 0.41 ct, Measures 4.4 x 4.4 x 2.8 mm, a waterfall of splashes down the middle of this mossy round sapphire. Pair it with Yogo sapphires to bring out its cooler tones.
- BBS02 - 0.75 ct, Measures 5.3 x 5.3 x 3.8 mm, a happy patch of leaves, this round sapphire boasts multiple shades of green. Bind it in an open bezel setting in yellow gold for the warmest summer glow.
- BBS03 - 0.91 ct, Measures 6.4 x 4.7 x 3.3 mm, stoic and stony, with silky shades running through like granite. Wrap it tightly in a white gold setting for the ultimate rock solid statement.
- BBS04 - 0.79 ct, Measures 6.2 x 5.4 x 2.6 mm, a cat's eye flashing in the dark, a dark blue shot through with electricity down the middle. Pair it with Yogo sapphires and pair it with an open bezel rose gold band for the purr-fect ring.
- BBS05 - 0.37 ct, Measures 4.2 x 4.2 x 2.9 mm, the softest peach tints this round sapphire, with a tiny flash of peppery inclusions on one side. Bring out its sweet, romantic tones with a warm rose gold band.
- BBS06 - 0.45 ct, Measures 5.1 x 3.6 x 2.8 mm, the lightest purple sweeps through this sapphire. Lightly included with white streaks and tiny black dots, this saphire captures that spring breeze that carries so much promise.
- BBS07 - 0.74 ct, Measures 5.5 x 5.5 x 3.4 mm, dandelions blown by the wind, this round sapphire holds within it the prettiest white pappus. Tinted a warm violet in the middle, pair this with Yogo sapphires and a white gold band.
- BBS08 - 0.83 ct, Measures 5.9 x 5.1 x 3.1 mm, the first rosy bloom that bring color to your garden, this sweet pink sapphire is full of hope and wishful daydreams. Perfect for a longing soul that appreciates curling up with a mug of hot tea.
- BBS09 - 0.85 ct, Measures 7 x 4.7 x 2.4 mm, an oval sapphire with a light sprinkling of white inclusions. A class act that knows how to command crowds. Pair it with a yellow gold band to bring out its sassy side.
- BBS10 - 0.60 ct, Measures 6 x 4.3 x 2.5 mm, a light aethyst colored oval sapphire, with inclusions that mimic bubbles floating to the surface. A happy soul that thrives in crowds. Give it Yogo sapphire companions and enjoy its outgoing nature.
- BBS11 - 0.43 ct, Measures 4.3 x 3.9 x 2.9 mm, a lush pink that leans on red, this sapphire is passion personified. Bold and boisterous, wrap it tight with a yellow gold band and be ready to roar like the lioness that you are. Cut by Scott Maier in Vermont, USA.
- BBS12 - 0.30 ct, Measures 4.9 x 3.2 x 2.2 mm, pretty in pink, this irregular cut sapphire is flirtatiously fun. Wrap it in a white gold band and pair it with some funky salt and pepper diamonds. Cut by Scott Maier in Vermont, USA.
- BBS13 - 0.39 ct, Measures 4.3 x 3.2 x 2.2 mm, straight out of a painting from a modern art gallery, artistic swathes of blues, pinks and white run through this round sapphire. Celebrate its carefree nature with a yellow gold band. Cut by Scott Maier in Vermont, USA.
- BBS14 - 0.54 ct, Measures 6.7 x 4 x 2.5 mm, a sweet lavender child, this irregular cut sapphire is full of whimsical tales of other worlds. Cocoon it in a white gold band and nestle down to listen to its stories. Cut by Scott Maier in Vermont, USA.
- BBS15 - 0.57 ct, Measures 6.3 x 3.8 x 2.7 mm, an elegant croisé devant between shades of purple, poised and perfectly balanced. This sapphire has secrets nestled in each of its movement. Pair it with an open bezel to enjoy all of its twinkles. Cut by Scott Maier in Vermont, USA.
- BBS16 - 0.70 ct, Measures 6.4 x 4.1 x 3.4 mm, an icy shard of sapphire that never shies away from the truth. Lightly tinted in blue, a solemn soul who nevertheless knows how to smile softly. Cut by Scott Maier in Vermont, USA.
- BBS17 - 0.74 ct, Measures 6.5 x 5 x 2.7 mm, that first glimpse of blue during a slow, sensuous morning. This sapphire is a languid awakening, full of relaxed charms and sweet nothings. Pair it with the soft light of a yellow gold band. Cut by Scott Maier in Vermont, USA.
These sapphires are sourced ethically from Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo. Traceable and responsible sourcing is a vital part of creating lasting positive impact in affected communities and in reducing environmental damage. Our Borneo sapphires are part of Gardens of the Sun's journey beyond jewelry to source ethical and sustainable raw material to create guilt-free jewelry.